Last week in class we covered a topic that is very interesting to
me. We talked about religion in politics
and nationalism and how it affects our country.
We referred to Heclo’s reading throughout class and related it to our
discussion. I found his readings to be
very interesting on how he looks at things the way he does. In class we also watched an interview of
Governor Scott Walker after he won his third election. The first thing Scott did was thank God for
everything and giving him the opportunity to do what he does which are great
things. For a public figure like in his
role to do that on public TV is super cool considering everyone out there these
days that criticizes people for doing that.
I can relate to this as I was reminded all the time by my parents who
were the most important person on getting me where I was with my sports
career. Being a three sport athlete in
high school and a captain on the UWSP football team I had my fair share of
interviews. I’m not big on interviews
win or lose but there was always one thing I remember to say in the interview
and it was, “I would like to thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to
play this great game and to be out here with my teammates and friends ……”. For a public figure here in Wisconsin like Scott
to do that I thought was pretty cool.
Next we talked about religion and nationalism. Religion can shape a nation as we see in the Middle
East. The country’s religion in the Middle
East has a much larger effect on the nationalism of that country in contrast to
the United States. Countries over there
take the identity of their religion as here in the US we have the freedom of
any religion we want. Over there they
get killed because they are different religions. I remember when our current president got
elected who they said was a Muslim that it was not right because he wasn’t a Christian
as the all past presidents were. This
was a big deal even because the US event though it doesn’t have a national
religion everyone associates Christianity with the US.
Below I posted a picture of the back of a US money bill. I used this picture in an earlier post but found it related to this blog also. On the back of our currency we find the words "IN GOD WE TRUST'. Those words were important to the men who started this country and those who were after them. Our nation was viewed as being religious and Christians. Know our country has turned away from that and not referred to as not being religious. I believe our country needs to go back to what started this country and how this country was run in the beginning. This would fix our country and take it back to the way it should be run.
No comments:
Post a Comment